What is Breast Cancer?
Breast cancer is a malignant tumor that originates from tissues of the breast. It is the second leading cause of cancer death, surpassed only by lung cancer.
The breast cancer tumor usually occurs in the lobules and ducts of the breast used in the production and delivery of breast milk. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women aside from skin cancer. Although the disease is rare among males, men are also susceptible to breast cancer.
As with other cancers, the best possible outcomes for breast cancer come with early treatment.
Advantages of Proton Therapy for Breast Cancer
Proton Radiation treatment has already shown excellent signs of disease control and minimal side effects compared with traditional forms of treatment in clinical trials for breast cancer. Other compelling benefits that proton therapy also offers are:
- Treatment is noninvasive and painless
- Proton therapy is effective for treating early stage breast cancer
- Treatment offers quicker recovery times with minimal side effects
- Causes less cosmetic damage compared with the burn marks caused by regular radiation
- It is more accurate and precise than other kinds of radiation
- Treatment is provided in an outpatient setting
- Proton radiation has little to no impact on patient energy level